ARTICLE I – NAME
This organization shall be known as Northern Illinois Music Conference, otherwise known in this document as NIMC.
ARTICLE II – PURPOSE
To foster and promote the advancement of music education in public and non-public schools and to sponsor annual contests including Solo and Ensemble, and Organization Contest for Bands, Choirs and Orchestras in the State of Illinois.
ARTICLE III – MEMBERSHIP
Members of NIMC shall be public and non-public schools and their music educators, in the State of Illinois, who have paid the annual membership fee. This fee will be due by September 15th and membership will run until September 14th of the following year.
ARTICLE IV – BOARD OF DIRECTORS
The business of NIMC will be managed by the Board of Directors. The directors will consist of the Officers of NIMC, elected annually by the membership.
ARTICLE V – OFFICERS
The officers will consist of a President, Vice-President, Secretary, Treasurer, Judge Hirer and Webmaster. Term of office will be one-year.
- President – The President shall be the principal executive officer of NIMC and shall supervise all of the business of the Organization. The President shall set the date and location for meetings and preside over all meetings of the Board of Directors and the General Membership. The President will procure contest sites, make site assignments, and set contest dates, and so notify all members of their assignments.
- Vice-President – The Vice-President shall perform such duties as may be assigned by the President or Board of Directors. In the absence of the President, the Vice-president shall perform the duties of the President.
- Secretary – The Secretary shall take minutes at all meetings of the Board of Directors and General Membership, and shall disseminate all minutes to the General membership. The Secretary shall make available at all meetings the minutes of the previous meeting. The Secretary shall be the custodian of the corporate records of NIMC.
- Treasurer – The Treasurer shall be responsible for all funds of NIMC, including collecting and depositing all fees and other monies received, pay all bills incurred by NIMC, and pay all adjudicators hired by NIMC upon approval of the President. The Treasurer will present an annual financial report at the Annual Membership meeting and maintain an annual budget.
- Webmaster – The Webmaster will be responsible for maintaining a website and ensuring that all information, forms and documents provided on the website are up to date.
- Judge Hirer – The judge hirer will be responsible for securing judges for all contests, sending out and receiving adjudicator contracts, and informing contest hosts of judges’ names and contact information.
ARTICLE VI – MEETINGS
- The Annual Membership Meeting shall take place in September of each year at a date and place to be determined by the President. In addition, a Board of Directors meeting will be held preceding the Annual Membership Meeting. A Special Meeting of the Membership may be called at any time by at least two members of the Board of Directors, with two weeks’ notice being given.
- Quorum – a minimum of 9 members will constitute a Quorum.
ARTICLE VII – ELECTIONS AND VOTING
- All music educators representing their member school district shall receive one vote.
- Elections for the Board of Directors shall take place at the Annual Membership meeting or via email by a date to be decided on by the Board of Directors.
- A Nominating Committee consisting of the President, Vice-President and two other members of the Board of Directors (appointed by the President) will present a slate to all members via email two weeks before the Annual Meeting.
- Vacancies occurring on the Board of Directors may be filled by the Board of Directors for the portion of the unexpired term.
ARTICLE VIII – FISCAL YEAR
The fiscal year shall run from July 1st to June 30th of the following year.
Article IX – DISSOLUTION CLAUSE
Upon dissolution of NIMC, the remaining assets will be used exclusively for educational purposes.
ARTICLE X – AMENDMENTS, BYLAWS, CONDUCT OF MEETINGS
These bylaws may be amended at the Annual Meeting by a two-thirds vote of the members present. The rules contained in Robert’s Rules of Order, Revised shall govern the conduct of all meetings in cases in which they do not conflict with the bylaws of NIMC.