At the Spring and Fall meetings, discussions were held regarding creation of contest rating sheets and rubrics.
Rubric Set #1 (Kansas State HS Association)
These are the rubrics that the Kansas State HS Association uses for various contests. Sheets are already developed, with short rubrics, for all solo and ensemble groups. We believe that we can adjust the ensemble sheets to also include band, choir, orchestra, jazz, etc, should the membership want it.
These also include weighted scoring and a wide point system as well as focused categories.
Rubric Set #2 (based on National Standards)
Rubric Set 2 is developed from the National Standards, along with a variation of other rating sheets. Rubric descriptors are taken directly from the National Standards. And additional category of ‘Other’ has also been added. This rubric is based on a 5 point straight system with no weighted categories. Space has been created in the rubric boxes for direct judge comments.
The accompanying rating sheet uses the 5 point system should we want it. Divisions would need to be created with guidance form the membership.
What do you think?
The Committee working on the rubrics and rating sheets is looking for your input. Thoughts, comments and changes are welcome! Please consider some of these questions proposed at our Fall Meeting, as well as your own comments and questions.
- Should we use a weighted point system like Rubric 1? Do we want this many points? Fewer points?
- Rubric 1 is a nice design. But is it too complicated for students and parents? Too much?
- Rubric 2 – can we use this on a 4 point system?
- Rubric 2 – do we use descriptors on the ratings sheet?
Thank you for taking the time to review and comment.
Give us Feedback!
- Leave a public comment below. As always, please be constructive.
- e-mail Elise Matusek (vice-president) directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.